Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Look Momma! A big city!





Last week while doing an errand and a half-hearted search for gas we drove by a few office parks. Upon seeing these large buildings with full parking lots and people milling around my son exclaimed, "Look Momma, a big city! I love big cities!" It was then and there that I promised to get these people out of the house more often.

Monday morning I woke up with that damn promise looming over my head. So I fell out of bed, got dressed and called my SIL to see if she wanted to join in on the fun. She responded with "I'll be there in 2 minutes." SUCKER! Once I had everyone dressed we loaded up the "mom-mobile" and headed for Target and then to Chick-fil-a for lunch. As soon as the "magic" doors opened at Target the meltdowns began. Hay didn't want to ride in a cart ,and A.J. didn't like the cart she was in. Little Bitty collapsed in full-on drama when she realized that we didn't bring her blankie. However, ever the resourceful one she turned a pair of pink track pants that my SIL was buying for my niece into a substitute blankie. So 45 minutes and a box of mini Nilla wafers later we head to the check out lanes. It was there that the cashier took one look at us, gulped, and confessed she had been struggling with the decision of whether or not to have more children. I'm pretty sure I heard her schedule her tubal ligation as we walked away. So back in the car to drive the 300 feet to Chick-fil-a where once we sit down to lunch my SIL says to me with a red face and sweaty brow, "I will never ever give you a hard time again about not leaving the house, and I will slap the next person that does." And so it was with a satisfied smirk that I inhaled my nuggets and took a big swig of Coke.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heather!!!! You are sooooo funny!!!! I think its because I can sort of relate although I don't know how I suddenly woke up and my toddler years were gone!!! Cherish them with all your heart. I know you do. You are such a good writer!! I know you said you never wrote in journals but that doesn't make you a good writer. You are a natural!!! Oh my goodness! The word pictures you can draw!!!