Wednesday, August 13, 2014

How many more?

How many more people must die before we realize that something needs to change?  How many brother, sisters, fathers, mothers, friends must end their lives before a "call to action" is sounded?   This is my "call to action".  The stigma on mental illness must end.  Now.

I have long been passionate about raising mental health awareness and tolerance.  I have witnessed the destruction both near and far.  What if someone suffering from mental illness felt safe in asking for help?  What if they knew that they would not be ostracized within their community, social circle or religious organization?  What if instead of being fearful of losing employment they felt secure?  What if they knew that they would not be shunned by loved ones?  In a word, what if they felt safe.  Safe enough to ask for help.

Why is illness within your brain considered a personality flaw?  If you had diabetes, you would take medicine.  If you had any illness below your neck you would seek medical intervention without a second thought. But society tells those with a mental illness to shake it off, get some exercise, eat a piece of chocolate.  Admittedly, what a wonderful world it would be if all things could be cured with exercise and chocolate.  Especially chocolate.  But I know from personal experience that's not how it works.

For years, I have struggled with anxiety and depression.  I take medication that has helped tremendously.  I am grateful that I have a partner that supports my decision to take medicine and go to therapy.  To not have that support, I fear for the life that I may have had.

And while I know what depression feels like for me, I can not pretend to know how someone else feels.  It's important to understand that while you may have the same diagnosis your symptoms may be vastly different.  What you can understand is the same desire to have a safe place.

Will you be that someone's safe place?  And if you are that someone needing a safe place, please reach out and ask.  Ask a friend, a stranger, a doctor, a nurse, a policeman.  Keep asking until you get the help you need.  There is no weakness in asking for help.  That's why we were put on this earth, to love and help one another.




No comments: